English | German

20.12.2017 - by Daniel

Hey!

First of all - sorry! I know I wanted to make a post every week but it was quite stressful and yeah ... here it finally is!

The scripts for most of the voice-files are pretty much done. It's not yet fully complete nor are they final but it is enough to start recording (of course we will probably change/add stuff during the next weeks but that is part of the process).

Another big thing is the change of our engine. For our last game as well as the alpha versions of Devastated: Andrew's Dictaphone (or simply DAD) we used LibGDX. However we decided to switch to Unity since the whole development-process seems to be a lot faster.
If we are going to be successful with DAD, we would need to buy a license but first of all we need to be successful and the game will be PWYW/free, so financial success won't be a 'danger'.

Angela is going to draw quite a lot for the rest of the week. In the last days there wasn't really much progress in terms of art because she spent a lot of time working on the website.
Here is a new scene from the game!

Screenshot

Angela spent a lot of time optimizing and making sure everything looks good on the website :D Non-responsive websites are still a thing in 2017 ~

Christopher spent some time to further optimize Intra-System. Even though it already performs great on low-end machines, he wanted to increase the performance on older PCs even more. There was a little stutter with the animations at the end of the game (only noticeable on old PCs) and this should be fixed with it, as well as some more minor changes :D

Also thanks to Imagoala, she fixed some errors in the scripts. I need to practise more English (no worries, for the game everything will be checked :D) and I'm watching and reading a lot to improve it (cliffski.com is great, also Jeff Vogels Blog)

It will be a little calm here until the start of the new year, mainly because of christmas and new years (visiting family & stuff like that) :).
However with the beginning of the new year we should manage to post weekly ^o^


4.12.2017 - by Daniel

Hey :D

I want to show you our new project: Devastated: Andrew's Dictaphone. We have been working on the project since September and plan to release it for free in Q1 of 2018. It will be available for Windows and Linux!

At the moment we are halfway down the road. We needed some time to figure out the art style but we are relatively sure that we won't change much of the direction from now on.

Screenshot

Right now we have finished most of the soundtrack, one quarter of the soundeffects, half of the graphical assets (but we need to revise some of these graphics) and one quarter of the text finished. In the first months we mainly focused on gameplay. It may be a little bit confusing why a Point and Click Game needs this much time for the gameplay but we wanted to ensure the best possible experience. Our last game, Intra-System: Trust Issues, suffered a bit in this regard and we wanted to optimize it from the start.

I'm working mostly on the story (but also on audio and some other things; our roles within the team aren't really defined, especially not mine) and trying to convey the narrative in the best possible way. I want to write majority of the script this week.

Due to the fact that all of the scenes are made in 4K Madame Yavi has some technical difficulties which slow down the process (the old AMD FX aren't great at handling Photoshop (or Photoshop isn't great at working with these cpus)). Also, we want to create some gifs to give the right impression of the setting.

Chris is currently figuring out ways to make the game more performant but working with OpenGL can be a pain in the ass sometimes. We also want to ensure not only that the loading times of the game are relatively short but also that the player doesn't need to wait for a new scene. Especially the 4K resolution may cause some problems. We hope that we manage to finish the beta this year but we will have to see how it goes. We need to do almost all of the voicefiles soon but this shouldn't be a big deal.

So, that's it! :D I want to update this devlog every monday at least but hopefully I'll manage to do it more often!